Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Ann Taylor and The Loft coming to Canada.

Hard to keep track of the invasion of US retailers coming to Canada, specifically those targeting women. Today Ann Taylor announced the arrival of The Loft in late 2012.  Plans to open the first Ann Taylor store are already underway.

There seems to be a steady stream of US retailers setting up shop.  In 2011 we saw J Crew and Express.  This year we will have Marshalls, Intermix and Tory Birch.  The opportunity is significant if they snag a decent location and price themselves reasonably well.  Sales per foot at shopping malls in Canada are 50% higher than the US, and we have far less retail footage.  Screams with potential.

Sadly, there is a short list of fashion-fabulous Canadian retailers who pose a meaningful threat to these US entrants.  Message to Canadian retailers, get your act together and give us a reason to stay loyal!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lara,

    You made my day with your news of Ann Taylor and the Loft coming to Canada. Discovering the stores few years back on a trip to Portland,I was horribly disappointed to know that they didn't ship to Canada. I just picked up a bag-ful of treats from Loft in Spokane!

    I will definitely be checking out your site on a regular basis!

    foundandbliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail,

    Glad you are delighted with the news, initially they will only be in Toronto, but I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I am so excited with this news as I was bemoaning the fact that there were no Ann Taylor stores in Canada. Ann Taylor is one of my favorite stores - especially for their petite sizing, fit and selection. I can hardly wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge fan of Ann Taylor and the Loft, too bad I'm no longer living in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wrote a piece on my trip to Portland (and Loft!). I'm wondering if I could include a link to your site? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete