In March, 2013, the Canadian Retail Industry will get a lot more interesting with the arrival of 135
Target stores across the Country. Recently Target confirmed its partnership with Starbucks in most of their Canadian locations. Some Canadians may not understand the hype or the magnitude of this latest in a wave of US retailers entering into Canada.
Not since the arrival of Walmart in 1994 has there been such a dramatic shift in the Canadian Retail scene.
As a longtime fan of Target, I can tell you the hype is understated. Knowing I can also get a Grande Soy Green Tea Latte as I stroll the aisles for fabulous household wares, affordable fashions, cool designer spin offs, kids essentials, groceries, lip gloss, etc etc......is too exciting. Personally I am counting the days.
The folks at Sears and Walmart must be shaking in their boots these days, on the impact to their business in certain categories.
Some experts suggest that there will be a honeymoon period, and customers will buy into the initial hype and then revert back to their tried and true favorite haunts. Doubt it...Canadian shoppers are smart and craving a new retailer that makes it too easy for their needs and too emotional for the wants. Target will be a force in the Canadian Retail Industry for many many years.
310 days to go!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYay! I've never shopped target but I'm excited too!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog!
Shawna
As much as I liked the quietness of Zellers (nobody shops at the one in Shaugnessy), I'm looking forward to some Target deals!
ReplyDeleteChris
I love Target, but agree with Chris that will likely have a very negative impact on Zellers. Still, I would choose Target over Zellers, I especially love their collections by guest designers.
ReplyDelete